PDA

View Full Version : Was Andy Reid a mistake after all?

Bike
09-29-2015, 12:04 AM
It looks like we need to rebuild all over again - again. Our offense looks absolutely pathetic. From the OL to the QB to the play calling to the gameplanning. We should be further along in this third year of the new regime. I'm mad.

rodu
09-29-2015, 12:08 AM
It's also game three. I was figuring next year we contend

Bike
09-29-2015, 12:10 AM
It's also game three. I was figuring next year we contend

I always say maybe next year. Man its getting old...

matthewschiefs
09-29-2015, 12:12 AM
Overall Reid has been good for the Chiefs

But as I said at the start of last week he has to give up the play calling duties he gets stuck in certain plays even though they are clearly not working.

1st down is a VERY important down. A lot of the trouble on offense is that the 1st down playcall more often then not is some type of screen. The Ds LONG AGO figured this out and they get stuffed in the backfield. When you lose yards on 1st down your drive is going to fail more often then not. But yet Reid keeps stubbornly sticking to these plays. Late in the game we moved the ball A LOT those screens were no where to be seen, Reid is a good HC bad playcaller. In 2012 they made Romeo give up the dc spot Clark or someone above Reid need to insist Reid give up the playcalling for the betterment of the team. That's his biggest weakness

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 12:13 AM
Reid gets A LOT out of his players--even if it didn't look that way tonight. That said I do think it is time he considered letting someone call the actual plays.

Bike
09-29-2015, 12:21 AM
Overall Reid has been good for the Chiefs

But as I said at the start of last week he has to give up the play calling duties he gets stuck in certain plays even though they are clearly not working.

1st down is a VERY important down. A lot of the trouble on offense is that the 1st down playcall more often then not is some type of screen. The Ds LONG AGO figured this out and they get stuffed in the backfield. When you lose yards on 1st down your drive is going to fail more often then not. But yet Reid keeps stubbornly sticking to these plays. Late in the game we moved the ball A LOT those screens were no where to be seen, Reid is a good HC bad playcaller. In 2012 they made Romeo give up the dc spot Clark or someone above Reid need to insist Reid give up the playcalling for the betterment of the team. That's his biggest weakness

I like Andy Reid as a person. I mean, he's a likeable guy and the players like the guy. But man, no halftime adjustments is killer. Reid is stuck on that west coast offense mentality, but we don't have west coast offense type of players. Paying huge dollars to Bowe and Smith and letting Hudson walk doesn't make sense to me. Both the OC and DC should be gone. If Reid can't make the tough decisions that will take this team to the next level, maybe he should be gone, too.

marloweopatchiefs
09-29-2015, 12:22 AM
maybe you want crenel and cassel back? What kind of forum questions is this? sorry but I don't agree with you at all

marloweopatchiefs
09-29-2015, 12:23 AM
And replace him with who?

Bike
09-29-2015, 12:24 AM
maybe you want crenel and cassel back? What kind of forum questions is this? sorry but I don't agree with you at all

I don't expect everybody to agree with me. And no I don't want Haley or Cassel back.

matthewschiefs
09-29-2015, 12:26 AM
I like Andy Reid as a person. I mean, he's a likeable guy and the players like the guy. But man, no halftime adjustments is killer. Reid is stuck on that west coast offense mentality, but we don't have west coast offense type of players. Paying huge dollars to Bowe and Smith and letting Hudson walk doesn't make sense to me. Both the OC and DC should be gone. If Reid can't make the tough decisions that will take this team to the next level, maybe he should be gone, too.

I don't no if the OC needs to go or not. I would love to see Reid give Peterson a chance at calling the plays to see if that will make a difference. Playcalling is a HUGE weakness for Reid. If he could find a good Play caller then he will be fine. Do we have one now? We won't know until he gets a shot

marloweopatchiefs
09-29-2015, 12:28 AM
Smith pushed the ball downfield when they were behind. So it's apparent he can sling it downfield. I hope he builds off this game next week.

Bike
09-29-2015, 12:32 AM
I don't no if the OC needs to go or not. I would love to see Reid give Peterson a chance at calling the plays to see if that will make a difference. Playcalling is a HUGE weakness for Reid. If he could find a good Play caller then he will be fine. Do we have one now? We won't know until he gets a shot
But if Reid can't recognize his own weaknesses, does it matter?

matthewschiefs
09-29-2015, 12:34 AM
But if Reid can't recognize his own weaknesses, does it matter?

Only if the choice was made by someone above Reid. Other then that we will be stuck with his playcalling and just have to hope that he moves on from the PCs that just have failed over and over again

Bike
09-29-2015, 12:35 AM
And replace him with who?
I don't know. Let the year play out and see how he adjusts..

jason1981
09-29-2015, 02:13 AM
We need a new oc and play caller. Reid needs to swallow his ego and let someone else call the plays. Hunt please please make him turn the play caliing over.

slc chief
09-29-2015, 07:38 AM
No but Alex smith was

Frankenchief
09-29-2015, 10:53 AM
Smith pushed the ball downfield when they were behind. So it's apparent he can sling it downfield. I hope he builds off this game next week.
Half of me is encouraged by this. The other half says - as I eluded to in my postgame thread - that the Packers brass like Dorsey and told the coaches to take their foot off the gas pedal after they had built the safe lead.

Frankenchief
09-29-2015, 11:02 AM
BTW, for the record I wanted either Bruce Arians or an up and coming young college coach. For the latter I was thinking maybe David Shaw of Stanford. But, anyway, I was happy enough when they brought in Andy.

As for Andy, I am with the majority here in thinking that Andy's problem is in calling the plays and not the overall coaching.

Chiefs4life24
09-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Heard a snipit after the game Charles said Andy got out Coached hopefully its just Charles that feels this way and not the rest of the locker room too

Frankenchief
09-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Heard a snipit after the game Charles said Andy got out Coached hopefully its just Charles that feels this way and not the rest of the locker room too
UH OH!!! The first step in Jamaal's imminent move to Denver.

Chiefs4life24
09-29-2015, 11:43 AM
He mentioned the coaching a couple times in his post game interview

Bike
09-29-2015, 01:07 PM
Its time to overhaul our offensive (very offensive) game-planning. I don't know that Pederson would be any better than Reid, as he followed Reid from philly. But so did did the rest of the coaching staff for the most part. I would give him a shot, or maybe Brad Childress. A change needs to be made here. And maybe its time to turn the defense over to Gary Gibbs. Sutton doesn't appear to have the ability to make adjustments on the fly. Our team didn't look like they even wanted to play together last night. Just a bunch of individuals going through the motions. This is an unhappy team with seemingly no cohesion whatsoever. I know it's too late to do anything about the OL at this point, but changes could still be made at coordinator and play-calling/planning, and possibly even at QB. If Reid doesn't recognize these problems, then we have bigger questions to answer. Just one frustrated fans' opinion.

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 01:11 PM
UH OH!!! The first step in Jamaal's imminent move to Denver.

Don't even think that!

Seek
09-29-2015, 01:13 PM

He defintely slung it around last week, some to Denver. It is not Andy's style to gun sling it. He runs a West Coast offense that is dink and dunk, kill time and methodically score.

Chiefs4life24
09-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Unfortunately we can all see the West Coast offence can't keep up with other offences. I don't see any unity or communication looks to me like everyone is playing individual football out their

Bike
09-29-2015, 02:01 PM

JC speaks the truth.

Frankenchief
09-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Don't even think that!
OK,.... Oakland?

Pro_Angler
09-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Yes andy is a mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pro_Angler
09-29-2015, 02:13 PM
it's also game three. I was figuring next year we contend

thats the problem its always next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jason1981
09-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Watch this about andy reid. It was made a couple years ago from mad eagles fans. Does i sound familiar?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z447qc4ZRRA

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 02:43 PM
OK,.... Oakland?

I HATE Oakland more than I do Denver. If JC went to Oakland for anything short of 3 first round picks I would slit my wrists.

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Watch this about andy reid. It was made a couple years ago from mad eagles fans. Does i sound familiar?

Jason....I understand your frustration. I'm pretty frustrated with the last 2 weeks too.

But if you will, please remember a few things.

#1....Last 2 regular seasons 20-12. Best 2 seasons in a row with the same coach in a quite a while. A damned whisker away from a playoff win against the damned colts.

#2....Reid in Philly....19 playoff games in 14 years. 5 NFC Championship games in 14 years. 1 Super Bowl appearance.

Is Andy Reid "washed up"? Maybe. I don't know. Doubt anybody else knows for sure either. Other than "opinions" and we all know "opinions" are like ashholes....everybody has one.

But y'know, he deserves AT LEAST 4 years based SOLELY on what he did in 2013 and 2014. Best 2 years we have had back to back in quite a while.

Yes....I am starting to get this niggling feeling that it might be best if we hired a top flight OC to call the plays within the general parameters of Reid's playbook.

But to all the folks that are calling for Reid to be fired I can only say this...THEY ARE NUTS!!! CRAZY as shi*-birds.

And of course, to all those that want Reid and Smith gone I ask one simple question...WHAT IS THE FIX?

Who is the coach we are going to hire that is better than Reid??????? Who is the QB that is going to do better than Smith???

Yeah....the last 2 games were frustrating as hell. But I am not much interested in posts that say we should replace Reid and Smith unless they come with SPECIFIC SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEM. Complaints without suggested solutions are nothing more than WHINING.

Chiefs4life24
09-29-2015, 03:27 PM
I suspect this is not the same Andy Reid he has lost a step or 2 for sure

Chiefs4life24
09-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Plenty of good franchise QB's in the draft next year

Bike
09-29-2015, 03:32 PM
I posted some possible solutions earlier. But they would require Reid to bend a little. I, too, don't necessarily think Reid should be outright fired. I'm just hoping he can see was is going on right in front of him, and make necessary changes.

Frankenchief
09-29-2015, 03:35 PM
I HATE Oakland more than I do Denver. If JC went to Oakland for anything short of 3 first round picks I would slit my wrists.
OK,.... San Diego?

matthewschiefs
09-29-2015, 03:38 PM
Its time to overhaul our offensive (very offensive) game-planning. I don't know that Pederson would be any better than Reid, as he followed Reid from philly. But so did did the rest of the coaching staff for the most part. I would give him a shot, or maybe Brad Childress. A change needs to be made here. And maybe its time to turn the defense over to Gary Gibbs. Sutton doesn't appear to have the ability to make adjustments on the fly. Our team didn't look like they even wanted to play together last night. Just a bunch of individuals going through the motions. This is an unhappy team with seemingly no cohesion whatsoever. I know it's too late to do anything about the OL at this point, but changes could still be made at coordinator and play-calling/planning, and possibly even at QB. If Reid doesn't recognize these problems, then we have bigger questions to answer. Just one frustrated fans' opinion.

IMO Pederson needs to be the one that gets the first shot at it. Fact is we don't know what we have there. If he can get the job done then it's the best solution for the team IMO. He's already involved in the offense and putting the gameplan together so there would be no learning curve there. I think they need to give him a shot. See what they have then you will no if a change is needed there or not during the offseason.

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 03:50 PM
I suspect this is not the same Andy Reid he has lost a step or 2 for sure

Perhaps. But I am not at all convinced.

Plenty of good franchise QB's in the draft next year

We'll see, won't we. We still need to see where we pick in the 2016 draft. But I think trading away a boatload of draft picks to get in the top 3 picks would be the HEIGHT of foolishness. As an example I will use RG III. The scumskins traded 3 FIRST ROUND PICKS (# 6 in 2012, # 22 in 2013 and # 2 in 2014) plus # 39 overall (high second round) in order to get RGIII who now occupies the bench.

How would you feel if the Chiefs made a deal like that? Hopefully you would be mad as hell.

Give me a platinum-plated GUARANTEE that that a QB draft prospect is the next Montana, Staubach, Manning, Luck etc then HELL YES!!!!! SELL THE FARM!!!! But sell the farm for a "maybe". No. HELL NO!!!

Chiefs4life24
09-29-2015, 03:52 PM
they say possibly 5 or 6 right not are 1st round picks

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 04:00 PM
OK,.... San Diego?

OK....for 2 first round picks.

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 04:02 PM
I posted some possible solutions earlier. But they would require Reid to bend a little. I, too, don't necessarily think Reid should be outright fired. I'm just hoping he can see was is going on right in front of him, and make necessary changes.

You won't get much argument from me on that. Reid needs to consider letting go of play-calling duty.

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 04:09 PM
they say possibly 5 or 6 right not are 1st round picks

That avoids the question. Let's say we get a pick between #10 and #22 which seems realistic to me, how much are you willing to give away to get into the top 5? And how much are you willing to give away to get into the top 3? Before answering please keep in mind that they could ALL be COMPLETE BUSTS....just like RGIII who Washington gave 3 1st round picks and a 2cond round pick for. I am just not willing to trade away the farm for a MAYBE.

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 04:13 PM
IMO Pederson needs to be the one that gets the first shot at it. Fact is we don't know what we have there. If he can get the job done then it's the best solution for the team IMO. He's already involved in the offense and putting the gameplan together so there would be no learning curve there. I think they need to give him a shot. See what they have then you will no if a change is needed there or not during the offseason.

An interesting suggestion. Not one I support at the moment, but not an outcome that wouldn't get me too upset.

Chiefs4life24
09-29-2015, 04:26 PM
That avoids the question. Let's say we get a pick between #10 and #22 which seems realistic to me, how much are you willing to give away to get into the top 5? And how much are you willing to give away to get into the top 3? Before answering please keep in mind that they could ALL be COMPLETE BUSTS....just like RGIII who Washington gave 3 1st round picks and a 2cond round pick for. I am just not willing to trade away the farm for a MAYBE.

For me if were between 10 to 22 I would say 1st and a 3rd and 5th or 6th nothing more than 1 1st though

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 05:03 PM
For me if were between 10 to 22 I would say 1st and a 3rd and 5th or 6th nothing more than 1 1st though

I can go along with that if it gets us a QB in the top edge of round one. We paid 2 2cond round picks for Alex and while I don't hate that choice I'm not overly thrilled with it either.

What I object to is the notion of trading away 2 or 3 years of the cream of our draft picks and very possibly winding up with something like RGIII. That would put us in the sewer for at least 3 years.

But who knows???? Maybe Tyler Bray will turn out to be the QB we have been needing for so damned long. I still think Bray could turn out to be something truly special.

Frankenchief
09-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Jason....I understand your frustration. I'm pretty frustrated with the last 2 weeks too.
Don't mean to be nitpicky here ctchiefsfan, but I am in a cynical mood brought on by the game in game out subpar performances by my favorite Football and Soccer teams (Arsenal of the English Premiership). Both have been hyped by 'experts' in the off season and both are frustrating me almost every game. Almost no feeling is worse than having high hopes proven bogus.

The point of my nitpick here is that we did not underperform in the last two weeks. If you remember we won the Texans game in the first half. At the halftime of that game our underperformance started. We have effectively lost 2.5 games. In retrospect, after dominating a team in the first half of the first game, we have been playing losing football.

Eydugstr
09-29-2015, 05:15 PM

Have to ask...based on what? We don't even know if it's Reid or Pederson that's calling the redundant plays. Pederson was not a star QB in Philly. The game sucked, but throwing out Reid right now would be like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

matthewschiefs
09-29-2015, 05:21 PM
Have to ask...based on what? We don't even know if it's Reid or Pederson that's calling the redundant plays. Pederson was not a star QB in Philly. The game sucked, but throwing out Reid right now would be like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Reid has been very open that he's calling the plays. Watch his post games and he will say openly that it starts with him calling the plays. So we know that it's Reid calling the plays.

I don't mean to say that I think that Pederson will do a great or hell even a good job at playcalling. But at this moment he's the best option he nos the offense. He does have a hand in putting together the gameplan already. It wouldn't take much adjustment. And if he would turn out to be good calling the plays then we won't miss a beat. It would be the simplest fix. But to know if that is something that would work they would have to try it.

jason1981
09-29-2015, 05:32 PM

But if you will, please remember a few things.

#1....Last 2 regular seasons 20-12. Best 2 seasons in a row with the same coach in a quite a while. A damned whisker away from a playoff win against the damned colts.

#2....Reid in Philly....19 playoff games in 14 years. 5 NFC Championship games in 14 years. 1 Super Bowl appearance.

Is Andy Reid "washed up"? Maybe. I don't know. Doubt anybody else knows for sure either. Other than "opinions" and we all know "opinions" are like ashholes....everybody has one.

But y'know, he deserves AT LEAST 4 years based SOLELY on what he did in 2013 and 2014. Best 2 years we have had back to back in quite a while.

Yes....I am starting to get this niggling feeling that it might be best if we hired a top flight OC to call the plays within the general parameters of Reid's playbook.

But to all the folks that are calling for Reid to be fired I can only say this...THEY ARE NUTS!!! CRAZY as shi*-birds.

And of course, to all those that want Reid and Smith gone I ask one simple question...WHAT IS THE FIX?

Who is the coach we are going to hire that is better than Reid??????? Who is the QB that is going to do better than Smith???

Yeah....the last 2 games were frustrating as hell. But I am not much interested in posts that say we should replace Reid and Smith unless they come with SPECIFIC SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEM. Complaints without suggested solutions are nothing more than WHINING.

I think reid is a great coach but he needs to fire himself from play calling and cordinator and game plan ing. We need to brin an actual offensive cordinator and let hik have full reins of it. Rein is never going to learn from his mistakes.

Frankenchief
09-29-2015, 05:33 PM
Now that we are almost unanimous that Andy needs to give up playcalling let's think outside the box here. Let's revisit a brief discussion in another thread suggesting to allow Alex call (for the most part) his own play. OK, OK, before you throw nasty things at me just hear me out:

Alex, from what we hear, is supposed to be a high IQ guy. Just set him up mostly in a shotgun and have him make his pre-snap reads and call the plays he feels he can make work. Kind of ala Peyton Manning who knows better than anybody his own limitations and strengths. I argue that Alex is smart enough to know his limitations and strengths better than anybody as well. Alex is also way more mobile than Peyton. You may say he has not achieved the Peyton/Brady/Rodgers stature to earn this. But I argue that this is not so much a matter of earning a certain stature. Let the man decide what's best for him for a while. What's there to lose? Maybe the pathetic negative yardage sideline pass? We have a mobile QB and do not even seem to have a designed North/South QB run in our playbook. Maybe Alex will call some of that for first downs and maybe some bootlegs ON A FIRST AND GOAL ON THE TWO!

Look I'm not naive enough to say this will definitely work, but maybe we are in for a pleasant surprise if we try this. Who knows? How much worse can the calls be than the garbage we are getting now?

Frankenchief
09-29-2015, 05:39 PM
I don't mean to say that I think that Pederson will do a great or hell even a good job at playcalling. But at this moment he's the best option he nos the offense. He does have a hand in putting together the gameplan already. ....
Yikes!... That is not a very encouraging argument for Pederson. We did not seem to have a gameplan last night. :(

Eydugstr
09-29-2015, 05:48 PM
Reid has been very open that he's calling the plays. Watch his post games and he will say openly that it starts with him calling the plays. So we know that it's Reid calling the plays.

I don't mean to say that I think that Pederson will do a great or hell even a good job at playcalling. But at this moment he's the best option he nos the offense. He does have a hand in putting together the gameplan already. It wouldn't take much adjustment. And if he would turn out to be good calling the plays then we won't miss a beat. It would be the simplest fix. But to know if that is something that would work they would have to try it.

I'd agree that from a transition standpoint he'd be the least fuss option, and yes to know for sure they'd have to try it. And while Reid is ultimately responsible, I do believe that Pederson is calling a fair amount of plays as well. Unless somebody has a recording of what's going on between Reid and Pederson during games not sure the general public will ever know.

What I think is going on is that Reid is trying to cover for his coaches the same way he covers for his players. Reid needs to get more involved from a preparation standpoint. They looked like they weren't ready at all last night.

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Don't mean to be nitpicky here ctchiefsfan, but I am in a cynical mood brought on by the game in game out subpar performances by my favorite Football and Soccer teams (Arsenal of the English Premiership). Both have been hyped by 'experts' in the off season and both are frustrating me almost every game. Almost no feeling is worse than having high hopes proven bogus.

The point of my nitpick here is that we did not underperform in the last two weeks. If you remember we won the Texans game in the first half. At the halftime of that game our underperformance started. We have effectively lost 2.5 games. In retrospect, after dominating a team in the first half of the first game, we have been playing losing football.

No worries Frankenchief. We are ALL a little frustrated and on edge with our Chiefs performance through the first 3 weeks.

I could make some quibbles with...."We have effectively lost 2.5 games"....but I won't because it would only be a matter of degree. We beat Denver through the first 18 or so minutes and we beat GB in the 4th quarter, but we all know that is all BS. Stats don't win games. Only wins and losses count.

SOMETHING IS WRONG. No doubt about that. I am less upset about it than many simply because I have always viewed these first 4 games as potentially a big damned problem. And yeah...that includes Sunday's game against the Bungals. So things may get worse.

BUT WHAT IS WRONG????

Is it Reid?

Is it Smith?

Is it the O-line? (certainly partially)

Is it JC developing a case of the dropseys?

I have heard all of the above.

And y'know....I just don't know for sure what is wrong. I have my own thoughts, but I'm not going to get in a fight about it...cause I don't know for sure if my thoughts are right or wrong.

What I DO KNOW FOR SURE is that decisions made in the heat of passion when you are frustrated have a strong tendency to be VERY BAD DECISIONS. This IS NOT THE TIME for Chiefs fans to be talking about firing coaches or releasing players. We have 13 more games to play and we could still do as well as 14-2 and win the AFC West or go 10-6 and get a Wildcard. And yeah we could do considerably worse...but I don't think we will.

Somewhere out there some absolute ashhole is trying to figure out how to put together enough cash to fly banners over Arrowhead saying "FIRE REID! FIRE SMITH". I understand the frustration, but the true mark of a man is the ability to think clearly when emotion and frustration are saying...."Just lash out and hurt something".

SOMETHING is wrong. But I'm not going to just pick up an M-60 MG and start shooting anything that moves just to calm my frustrations. That would be counter-productive.

As frustrated as we all are, we just need to take a deep breath, let the season play out and see how things turn out. Some fans have given up on the season after 3 games....one that we won....one that we beat ourselves and one that we just plain got BEAT.

No....I just think it is WAY TOO EARLY to start hunting for scapegoats.

ctchiefsfan
09-29-2015, 07:34 PM
I'd agree that from a transition standpoint he'd be the least fuss option, and yes to know for sure they'd have to try it. And while Reid is ultimately responsible, I do believe that Pederson is calling a fair amount of plays as well. Unless somebody has a recording of what's going on between Reid and Pederson during games not sure the general public will ever know.

What I think is going on is that Reid is trying to cover for his coaches the same way he covers for his players. Reid needs to get more involved from a preparation standpoint. They looked like they weren't ready at all last night.

Good points Eydugstr.....Reid is not a coach who points fingers. He tends to take on all failure responsibilities to prevent others from getting all up inside their own heads.

None of us REALLY KNOW FOR SURE how much of the botched play-calling is on Reid. What I DO KNOW FOR SURE is that Reid is doing EXACTLY what they taught me at the NCO Academy and at OCS......"Take the blame for failures and give the credit for success to subordinates". That is a philosophy I still admire.

Chiefs4life24
09-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Can we all agree though Marcus Cooper and Flemming should be fired today, yesterday the beginning of time

Almighty chief
09-29-2015, 09:49 PM
watching dvr Gaines got Lucky he got torched as always... hes overrated. it looked like Berry was the only one involved.. get rid of all secondary except Berry and Peters. no Comment on offense.

Bike
09-29-2015, 09:59 PM
watching dvr Gaines got Lucky he got torched as always... hes overrated. it looked like Berry was the only one involved.. get rid of all secondary except Berry and Peters. no Comment on offense.
I'm sorry to have to say this, but it's time for Berry to go too. I have a lot of sympathy and respect for what he's been through, but he has never been no Troy Polamalu imo.

Chiefs4life24
09-29-2015, 10:07 PM
He got blown by many times last night

brdempsey69
09-29-2015, 10:26 PM

Sorry, but Eric Berry is not another Deron Cherry when it comes to Pass Defense. Berry must also go after this year.

jason1981
09-29-2015, 11:23 PM
Yes berry has to go as well. Were better with him on the bench. I show wish he had picked earl thomas. Berry has always been overrated. Wish him the best though.

brdempsey69
09-29-2015, 11:36 PM
Yes berry has to go as well. Were better with him on the bench. I show wish he had picked earl thomas. Berry has always been overrated. Wish him the best though.

This is true, in both 2011 and 2014, and I'll never be able to figure out why. But, it is a stark reality.

Frankenchief
09-29-2015, 11:44 PM
What I DO KNOW FOR SURE is that decisions made in the heat of passion when you are frustrated have a strong tendency to be VERY BAD DECISIONS. This IS NOT THE TIME for Chiefs fans to be talking about firing coaches or releasing players.

As frustrated as we all are, we just need to take a deep breath, let the season play out and see how things turn out. Some fans have given up on the season after 3 games

I hope I didn't sound as if I'm teaming up with the "Fire Andy" crowd. Far from it. I do agree, however, with the notion that he needs to stop calling plays.

And I am still hopeful that we will start performing better. To me it will really depend on the Oline. It could be a poor one, but also it could be one that hasn't gelled yet. Maybe in a couple of more weeks they will start protecting Alex better and wipe that 'concerned' look out of his face.

ctchiefsfan
09-30-2015, 12:53 AM
I hope I didn't sound as if I'm teaming up with the "Fire Andy" crowd. Far from it.

I certainly don't think you are.

And I am still hopeful that we will start performing better. To me it will really depend on the Oline. It could be a poor one, but also it could be one that hasn't gelled yet. Maybe in a couple of more weeks they will start protecting Alex better and wipe that 'concerned' look out of his face.

It was a weakness last year and it appears to continue to be a weakness. Hopefully they will get it together as the season progresses. What bothers me is that they didn't look bad against Watt and the Texans but the last 2 weeks they seem to have regressed.

ctchiefsfan
09-30-2015, 01:07 AM
Now that we are almost unanimous that Andy needs to give up playcalling let's think outside the box here. Let's revisit a brief discussion in another thread suggesting to allow Alex call (for the most part) his own play. OK, OK, before you throw nasty things at me just hear me out:

Alex, from what we hear, is supposed to be a high IQ guy. Just set him up mostly in a shotgun and have him make his pre-snap reads and call the plays he feels he can make work. Kind of ala Peyton Manning who knows better than anybody his own limitations and strengths. I argue that Alex is smart enough to know his limitations and strengths better than anybody as well. Alex is also way more mobile than Peyton. You may say he has not achieved the Peyton/Brady/Rodgers stature to earn this. But I argue that this is not so much a matter of earning a certain stature. Let the man decide what's best for him for a while. What's there to lose? Maybe the pathetic negative yardage sideline pass? We have a mobile QB and do not even seem to have a designed North/South QB run in our playbook. Maybe Alex will call some of that for first downs and maybe some bootlegs ON A FIRST AND GOAL ON THE TWO!

Look I'm not naive enough to say this will definitely work, but maybe we are in for a pleasant surprise if we try this. Who knows? How much worse can the calls be than the garbage we are getting now?

A very reasonable suggestion. Since it does carry a certain amount of risk, I think we should try it out in "garbage time" of a few games--be they wins or losses. Try it when we are ahead or behind by a lot. I have felt for a while now that if "turned loose" Alex could put on a pretty good imitation of Roger the Dodger.

brdempsey69
09-30-2015, 01:08 AM
Here's something interesting:

https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/648866720283652097?s=04

The gist of it:

"AS11 average time to throw was 3.02 sec. Which was 2nd most among week 3 starting QBs I've defended him alot but when you have more time than almost every other QB in the league to get rid of the ball you have to make plays. I mean yes are OLINE isn't great but they can also only hold NFL CALIBER pass rushers so long .... for comparison AARON RODGERS only had 2.64 sec. Average to get rid of the ball"

Frankenchief speaks truthfully about playing "losing football" and needing to do away with those horizontal passes. Only two times thus far in three games have the Chiefs used the play-action pass with both of those plays resulting in excellent protection for Alex Smith and big plays with passes to Kelce. They never did try a play-action against the Donkeys, but instead we got an overkill of this crap:

http://www.brdempsey69.com/chiefs/stupidplaycall.gif

Sorry, but this is LOSING FOOTBALL!! There is absolutely no good reason to run this type of play on 2nd and 10 in this situation that the Chiefs were in (Merry Christmas, Donkeys) at that stage of the game. For all this play-call was worth, the Chiefs might as well have called a play where every one of the Chiefs players except the QB, simply went up the Donkey's defender in front of him, on the QB's count of 1 before the ball was snapped, and kicked that Donkey's defender right square in the groin (and why not after those cheap shots that the Donkeys put on Charles and Smith). At least that wouldn't have resulted in the ludicrous turnover that you see in the above image.

ctchiefsfan
09-30-2015, 01:26 AM
I think reid is a great coach

I agree, but it is possible that he is losing his "touch". At this point I don't think so, but I admit it is possible. Mostly I think Reid has done a good job this season. I think the failure against Green Bay was mostly a "hangover" on the part of the players from the donkey loss. We fans are frustrated. I'm sure the players are frustrated. Reid needs to get the players to put the last 2 weeks out of their heads. That is a tall order with the Bungals coming up, but it has to be done. In 2013 during that 9-0 streak one win led to another because the players BELIEVED they were going to win. Right now it is IMPERATIVE that they start believing in themselves again. And that is Reid's JOB.

but he needs to fire himself from play calling and cordinator and game plan ing. We need to brin an actual offensive cordinator and let hik have full reins of it. Rein is never going to learn from his mistakes.

Generally, I agree. That said, I don't see it happening in the middle of the season. We have enough chaos as it is. Making a move like this mid-season would only make things worse IMO. But I think your suggestion would be an EXCELLENT move next year.

Eydugstr
09-30-2015, 08:23 AM
I hope I didn't sound as if I'm teaming up with the "Fire Andy" crowd. Far from it. I do agree, however, with the notion that he needs to stop calling plays.

THIS. If our O-line gets its act together, it'll go a long way to curing our issues.

jason1981
09-30-2015, 10:21 AM
I agree, but it is possible that he is losing his "touch". At this point I don't think so, but I admit it is possible. Mostly I think Reid has done a good job this season. I think the failure against Green Bay was mostly a "hangover" on the part of the players from the donkey loss. We fans are frustrated. I'm sure the players are frustrated. Reid needs to get the players to put the last 2 weeks out of their heads. That is a tall order with the Bungals coming up, but it has to be done. In 2013 during that 9-0 streak one win led to another because the players BELIEVED they were going to win. Right now it is IMPERATIVE that they start believing in themselves again. And that is Reid's JOB.

Generally, I agree. That said, I don't see it happening in the middle of the season. We have enough chaos as it is. Making a move like this mid-season would only make things worse IMO. But I think your suggestion would be an EXCELLENT move next year.

Yeah i didnt mean to bring in a while new offensive cordinator in in the middle of a season. Would have to wait for an offseason. But he could very easily hand over the play calling over to peterson or even brad childress at anytime. Reid has said peterson is the one that draws up the gameplans but reid calls the plays. So i be more inclined to give the play calling kver to childress cuz if its petersons idea to keep installing the lateral throws and screens into the gameplan then we need qnother guy.